UPDATED INFO CONDITION POLITICAL PRISONERS ON HUNGER STRIKE (ANGOL)
By Solange Cofre, October 10, 2012
I want to provide, with responsibility, information about the condition of the weichafe (warriors) transferred from the prison of Angol on the 44th day of their hunger strike:
1. Around 20 am on Thursday, October 10, the four lamieng (brothers) entered the Regional Hospital of Concepción, Daniel Levinao, Rodrigo Montoya, Erick Montoya and Paulino Levipán, after various colluded distractions of the gendarmes, PDI and police from the first precinct of Concepción, in order to prevent that we we saw them at their arrival.
Initially we met the werkén (spokesman) Daniel Melinao, community Wente Winkul Map, Lof Chekenko, who was interviewed by various media of the official press and gradually there were arriving different lamngen (brothers) to give their support and wait for news, with plenty of press coverage.
2. At 21 hours the Director of the Regional Hospital delivered a statement to the media, stating, among other things, that the villagers were taken to the hospital because of the "high complexity", and was requested by the gendarmes. Their state of health would be assessed by specialists and they would give a medical report tomorrow and every day throughout their internment at 9 am.
He noted, that the visiting hours will be respected, that they are in rooms with two beds and they have been given the indications of feeding but that THEY CAN NOT FORCE THEM TO EAT, a desire than they have expressed. He also delivered statements by the head of the gendarmes.
3. FENATS leaders showed their commitment to maintain direct communication with the lamngen and to provide everything they need during their stay, they were able to talk to them and make them present that they were not alone and they reported THEIR OUTRAGE AT BEING DECEIVED IN THIS TRANSFER BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT INFORMED.
The press at the scene gave coverage to all the above statements.
4. At 21: 30 there arrived at the hospital the Seremi of Justice, retiring amid shouts of those who were there, scolding him, whereupon he left terrified.
5. The werkén Melinao Daniel was the only person authorized to enter to check the conditions in which they arrived.
IMPORTANT: THE WEICHAFE ARE OUTRAGED BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT INFORMED THAT THEY WOULD BE TRANSFERRED, THEY WERE TOLD THAT THEY WOULD BE TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL OF ANGOL, THIS HAPPENED IN FRONT OF THEIR FAMILIES DURING THE VISITING HOURS. THEREFORE, IF THEY TOMORROW CONTINUE TO BE INTERNED,. THE APPROPRIATE LEGAL ACTIONS WILL HAVE TO BE CONSIDERED. THERE ARE NO FAMILY MEMBERS OF ANYONE OF THEM, THEREFORE WE URGE TO GIVE THEM PEACE OF MIND AND TO MOBILIZE EVERYTHING NEEDED TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR THEM TO BE PRESENT.
ABOUT THE TRANSFER, TO CONCEPCIÓN, OF THE MAPUCHE POLITICAL PRISONERS ON HUNGER STRIKE IN THE PRISON OF ANGOL
In the morning there was a meeting between the deputy warden and gendarme physicians who subsequently conducted a detailed auscultation of the lamngen. Of this emanated that two lamngen were suffering of tonsillitis and that Rodrigo Montoya suffered heart problems since he was 14 years old alongside Erick Montoya who for his height and body mass is feared to risk severe damage to his body. This analysis has led a report with which they proceeded to take the strikers to the Hospital of Angol, according to gendarmes to do a more thorough review and tests ordered by Dr. Guzman doctor of the CDP of Angol, that the strikers refused, referring them to Concepción, according to the deputy warden for a two-day period. We must also say that despite having seen the families of the lamngen during their visit he did not communicate anything to them and waited for them to leave the premises to carry out the operation.
We think that this is part of the known psychological pressures which all Mapuche who have gone on strike have undergone including feeding under torture.