MEANWHILE IN THE CHILE THAT DOES NOT SHOW ON TV... 28 political prisoners are kept by the Chilean State for the Mapuche cause
February 24, 2013
By: Patricia Troncoso, Valentina Fabbri and Rossana Villavicencio
Mapuche political prisoner is every Mapuche detained and/or facing trial, as a result of participating in activities aimed at the reconstruction of the Mapuche People-Nation, understood as such are the process of land reclamation and/or exercising territorial control over recovered properties, resistance actions against police repression and demonstrations aimed at vindicating the Mapuche Political Rights.
This outlines the following circumstances:
1. Resisting the advances of mega projects such as forestry, energy, transport and tourism installed in Mapuche territory, fighting for political and territorial rights of the Mapuche people.
2. As a victim of repression, intimidation and persecution exercised against Mapuche communities and organizations in fight.
3. Exercising their legitimate right to self-defense against the repression of the Chilean state and private sectors.
With the aforementioned criteria, clearly our brothers are not common criminals or offenders as the oppressive state has treated them. On the other hand the political nature of the imprisonments also obeys the laws that are applied to our people, such as the Internal Security Act and the Anti-Terrorism Act, designed in the military dictatorship and legitimized today by the same characters from the government who demanded its repeal in those days. Clearly they are laws seeking the protection and perpetuation in power of capitalist economic groups and the ruling classes which turn to the state to maintain their privileges and domination over both our Mapuche People-Nation and the Chilean people.
1. - Hector Llaitul Carillanca
2. - Ramon Llanquileo Pilquiman
They have both been on numerous hunger strikes. They belong to the CAM (Coordinator of Communities in Conflict Arauco-Malleco) among the most active organizations in defending the rights of the Mapuche people (whose objective is to recover the territory, autonomy and the reconstruction of the Mapuche world and of self-determination), strongly pursued by the Chilean state since 2002, when many of its activists were arrested during "Operation Paciencia". For both it is the fourth hunger strike. Both Hector and Ramon denounce the double trial, on December 21, the Supreme Court has ratified the decision of the Court of Appeals of Concepción, with respect to the double judgment where the military tribunal of Valdivia acquitted them and the Cañete Criminal Court convicted them for the same facts and the same proofs. Among the numerous allegations against them is that of a terrorist conspiracy. The two prisoners stress that their hands are not stained with blood and that they fight for territory and autonomy for their people.
3. - Daniel Levinao Levinao, 18, of the community Wente Winkul Mapu (commune of Ercilla), is the only political prisoner currently incarcerated in prison of the four young men who in August began a hunger strike that ended after 60 days on October 25, 2012, in which they called in general, for the restitution of the usurped territories, an end to the restitution of the usurped territories, an end to the repression and of the use of the Anti-Terrorism Act, and in particular the cancellation of their trials. Wente Winkul Mapu is one of the communities that are implementing the recovery of lands, both privately owned as from the forestry companies, therefore it is heavily militarized and has suffered several raids from the police, the GOPE (Police Special Operations Group) and PDI (Investigative Police).Daniel also deplores "unfounded prosecutions," the ferocity of the public prosecutor Chamorro and in particular the fact that during the hunger strike, the youths were taken to hospital for medical checks, and from there, without prior notice, they were taken to the prison of Concepción. He had already been convicted for unauthorized use of weapons. The 17th and 18th December Daniel underwent a trial in Angol (in which we were present) for attempted murder of police general Ivan Bezmalinovic, of which he was acquitted for lack of evidence.
4. - Leonardo Quijón Pereira, on hunger strike from November 27 to December 16 with Luís Marileo and G.V. still detained in the prison for minors of Chol Chol, are charged with the murder of a farmer, called a "colonist" by the youths, a common crime of which the youths declare themselves innocent. All three are in custody awaiting trial. To this procedure the Anti-Terrorism Act was not applied, but Leonardo and Luis Marileo (both 20) denounce the ferocity and manipulation of the Prosecutor Luis Chamorro.
Leonardo's lawyer requested "house arrest" on December 13 for health reasons and it has not been granted. For this reason, and with the request that the family of the dead farmer remove the accusation of having recognized him among the "hooded" attackers, Leonardo had started another hunger strike, which he later abandoned at the request of his own family, concerned about his health. In 2009, still a minor, he was shot by Chilean police while he was hunting, reporting leg injuries in which he still has close to 200 lead pellets. Then he was arrested, charged and prosecuted by the the Anti-Terrorism Act and acquitted in two trials.
5. - Luis Marileo Cariqueo charged with the murder of a farmer.
6. - Cristian Pablo Levinao Melinao, detained since September 26, he tells us that he comes from the community Mapu Reyen (commune of Ercilla), which for years has maintained a process of land reclamation, and suffers from a strong presence of forestry companies. Cristian has been in jail several times for different charges (eg: the burning of a bus and timber theft of a forestry company, attempted murder of police, arson, assault and threats against farmers). Despite the fact that the Anti-Terrorism Act has never been used, he denounces the persecutory and discriminatory application of the law, and the fury of the Prosecutor towards him, in fact he is now in custody awaiting trial, accused by "protected" witnesses who according to him do not have any proof. He also tells us that he has denounced the fact that in the past there were raids in his home with theft by the PDI, Investigative Police. When they arrested him the last time they mistreated him sticking his head in the water several times to get him to talk. One of the current accusations is of theft and intimidation of a small farmer together with Fernando Millacheo Marin and Guido Bahamondes Gallardo. Cristian and Guido, 28 years old, ask for a speedy, fair and transparent trial.
7.-Fernando Millacheo Marin (26 years) began a hunger strike on December 24, with the request for his release pending trial (preliminary injunction pending trial). He claims to be persecuted by justice just because he has a Mapuche name and that during the investigation an attempt was made to bribe his witnesses, who also had been threatened. Currently he stopped the strike of 59 days and was taken to the infirmary of the prison in Concepción against his will.
8.-Guido Bahamondez Gallardo. Accused of armed robbery of a small farmer together with Fernando Millacheo and Cristian Levinao. He is 28 years old, he ask for a speedy, fair and transparent trial.
9.-Bernardo Ulises Neculpan Huentecol (26), was arrested on December 22 on charges of illegal possession of firearms, assault with violence and attempted murder of the owner of a bus. The prosecutor Chamorro wants request the application of the Anti-Terrorism Act in this case. His family confirms that, on the day to which the facts refer of which they accuse him, Bernardo was with them in an initiative for Christmas organized by members of the ADI (Indigenous Development Area), and that the lawyer for the ADI Angelo Sanhuesa testifies that he was present. In his apprehension Bernardo was beaten and wounded together with his father, but that he in particular was kicked, slapped and with the butt of the gun they hit him in the neck.
10. - Jaime Marileo Saravia (36) belonging to the community Cacique José Guiñon. He is charged with armed robbery, a fact that would have occurred in the area of Tricauco. At the preliminary hearing in Collipulli on the following morning was the Prosecutor Cesar Chivar (substitute of Chamorro, who will follow the case), and the judge ruled the preventive detention awaiting trial. Jaime, defended by the lawyer Nelson Miranda, was transferred to the prison in Angol. The victim and key witness against him is the same as in the past, as a "protected witness", has accused him in the famous "Poluco Pidenco case", in which Jaime was convicted along with other defendants. Jaime says that, in fact, in early February there will be a ruling by the Inter-American Court on this case, which will have a great impact, and that he can not go there because he will be in jail. All this would be a ploy to prevent him from attending the trial.
11. - Jorge Mariman (24) belonging to the community Cacique José Guiñon. He was arrested together with Jaime. He is charged with armed robbery, a fact that would have occurred in the community of Tricauco. Jorge says that around eight o'clock on Saturday arrived at his house three pickup trucks of the PDI, he was working in the fields with his father when he was arrested and handcuffed, he tells us that he was only wearing shorts and they took him like that. He declares himself innocent of the robbery he is accused of. Jorge tells us that all the times that he, from childhood, has suffered from violence by the police, since 2001 there have been more than 30 raids on his house for weapons, but have never been found any, he has been wounded by lead in pellets the back, arm and ankle. He adds that, when they are injured, many Mapuche do not go to the hospital for fear of being denounced immediately or involved in court cases. Jorge has been in prison, and emphasizes that "you come out of jail with a feeling of helplessness and with a lot of anger."
12. - Juan Ciriaco Millacheo: The lonko of the community Newen Mapu. Arrested in Neuquén, Argentina, because he was convicted of terrorist arson on the Poluco Pidenco estate, since that time he was in clandestinety. From the 7th of February 2013, he maintains a liquid hunger strike.
13. - Juan Bernardo Licán Melinao. 45. Accused of burning trucks in the area of San Ramon. The arrest took place in the community of Chequenco, 12 kilometers to the southwest of Collipulli, in the commune of Ercilla, Araucanía Region.
14. - Camilo Tori Quiñinao. 22, a member of the Mapuche community Autonomous Temucuicui. He is charged for possession of a weapon and robbery.
15. - Juan Queipul Tori. Accused of arson and robbery with violence and intimidation of a pickup truck belonging to a contractor of Movistar.
16. - Carlos Manquel Toledo. Accused of arson and robbery with violence and intimidation of a pickup truck belonging to a contractor of Movistar.
17. - Jose Llanca Tori. Accused of arson and robbery with violence and intimidation of a pickup truck belonging to a contractor of Movistar.
18. - Emilio Berkhoff. Accused in the Court of Cañete and Temuco on charges of illegal possession of firearms and the assault on a police officer. Currently on liquid hunger strike.
1. - Machi Celestino Serafin Córdova Tránsito. 26, charged with terrorist arson resulting in the death of the Luchsinger couple, in addition to robbery with violence and arson.
Juvenile prison of Chol-Chol
1.-Gabriel Valenzuela Montoya, a minor imprisoned in the Juvenile prison of Chol-Chol
1. Machi Millaray Huichalaf Pradines (23)
2. Machi Tito Cañulef Neipán (27)
Both Machis accused of concealing fugitives.
3. Cristian Ignacio Garcia Quintul. 22, who is süngun-machifü Machi
4. Fénix Aquiles Delgado Ahumada. 25, charged with arson attack on the estate Pisu Pusué alongside of:
5. Facundo Francisco Jones Huala. 28
6. Álex Daniel Bahamondes Garrid. 35
It is important to remember that the six Mapuche Williche political prisoners are being held in the prison of Valdivia, Avda Picarte No. 4100, south exit, phone (063) 281 200, in highly dangerous modules:
The Machi Millaray is in the module 81. Visiting days: Thursday and Sunday from 9:30 to 11:30 hrs.
The Machi Tito, Fénix Delgado, Facundo Jones of Puelmapu, Álex Bahamondes and Cristian Garcia are located in the module 11. Visiting days: Wednesday and Friday from 9:30 to 11:30 hrs.
1.-José Huenuche Raimán. Condemned for attacking prosecutor Elgueta, has been on numerous hunger strikes. He belongs to the CAM (Coordinator of Communities in Conflict Arauco-Malleco) among the most active organizations in defending the rights of the Mapuche people.