Monday, March 4, 2013

PUBLIC STATEMENT - EMILIO BERKHOFF JEREZ, POLITICAL PRISONER FOR THE MAPUCHE CAUSE, CHILE

March 4, 2013

In mid-February the Court of Appeals of Concepción changed the fortnightly signing injunction with which Emilio Berkhoff was faced, for the alleged crime of illegal possession of arms and ammunition, to preventive detention under obvious pressure from the Chilean government. After that the defense of Emilio requested that the Tribunal of Guaranty of Cañete review the judgment. The Hearing was held today and in it he was denied the right of a change of the measure. The defender, Jaime Pacheco, said they will appeal the decision in the Court of Appeals of Concepción, arguing that the crime for which he was formalized is a misdemeanor, which has lesser penalties, and that is not enough to hold him in preventive detention.

To the national and international opinion, at 14 days on hunger strike I inform you of the following:

My unwavering determination to continue with this measure, thus denouncing the political persecution of which I am the subject, of my unjust imprisonment for minor causes that do not warrant preventive detention.

• At this time there is a violation of due process and of my constitutional guarantees, in short: they pursue me for my ideas.
  I also denounce the pressures of the Minister of the Interior towards the Prosecution to provide antecedents against me following my detention, because previously to this they did not exist. In this way they
can be setting a stage, as is the custom of the
Public Ministry in the case of political imprisonment, with protected witnesses and other tricks.

I demand:

 
- Immediate freedom.
- Prison conditions according to my status as a political prisoner.

- Visitors on the schedule and in the module of the Mapuche Political Prisoners.
- Right to share in the schedule of unlocking with the Mapuche Political Prisoners.

- Participate in recreational and cultural activities with the the Mapuche Political Prisoners.

FREEDOM TO ALL MAPUCHE POLITICAL PRISONERS
TERRITORY AND AUTONOMY
WEWAIÑ

No comments:

Post a Comment